Balcaskie is a modern working estate, committed cultivating and caring for the natural environment, nurturing local business and supporting their vibrant community.
We are recruiting two pre-college or placement students who will develop practical skills with livestock, machinery, forestry, landscaping, conservation and environmental management. The role will be varied and provides a chance to understand the intricacies of our natural environment and how we can positively affect it.
This role requires above all;
A willing, fit and energetic person to work with an established team on the in-hand farming and estate operation of Beef, Sheep and Arable enterprises, forestry, environmental and landscape management.
With a hardworking attitude and a keenness to impress, you will be well supported by existing, skilled staff members and encouraged to further develop knowledge and skill based on regenerative organic principles.
Balcaskie Estate occupies approximately 1900 Ha and directly farms 1300 Ha. A well-equipped, modern system with excellent working environment. In addition, the estate is undertaking significant environmental management projects. A diverse business, Balcaskie provides the opportunity to be an ambassador for the estate and work in a varied environment. The estate also operates a food market, butchery and pub which utilise produce from the estate.
The roles will include;
• Rotational planned grazing.
• Calving and Lambing, indoor and outdoor.
• Feeding and bedding.
• Maintenance of equipment and field boundaries.
• Tractor and telescopic/loader work.
• Cereal harvest operations.
• Forestry harvesting, management and planting.
• Work within the designed landscape and historic gardens.
A successful applicants will need to;
• Be someone looking to develop their skills and gain experience organic livestock systems.
• Have a keen eye for detail and stockmanship.
• Be mechanically minded and have an interest in looking after equipment to a high standard.
• Have a desire to learn and enthusiasm to be taught.
• Be available to work weekends and evenings during busy periods.
• Have already passed a DVSA tractor driving course or have passed their driving test.
For much of the time, the role will be working with existing members of staff and therefore a pre requisite for this roll is the ability to work as part of a team and to assist on all aspects of the estate. We are fortunate to have an existing team of highly motivated and experienced people who are keen to help share their skills.
A practical and methodical work attitude is important and an ability to demonstrate energy and effectiveness. A clean Driving License, mature attitude and ability to communicate clearly is essential.
Additional training will be provided as part of our ongoing training and investing in skills. These may include;
• Regenerative Agriculture
• Forklift (Rough Terrain Telescopic)
• First Aid at Work
• ATV and UTV
• Chainsaw crosscut and maintenance
Due to the breadth of this role, a flexible attitude, willingness to help out when needed and work outdoors in all weather is essential. Evening and weekend work will be required at times.
This role will be full time and comes with good accommodation and rates of pay commensurate with experience.
Please apply enclosing a C.V., covering letter and references to;
Balcaskie Estate Office
Easter Kellie Farm
Anstruther Fife KY102RF