Anstruther, Above Minimum Wage
Rural Skills. Farm and Estate Maintenance.
Balcaskie Estate has an exciting opportunity for the right person. We are seeking to take on a full-time apprentice who will develop the skills required for a career in land-based industries and qualify at SVQ level 3 with LANTRA certification.
This role requires above all;
A willing, fit and energetic person to work with an established team on both the in-hand farming operation of Arable, Beef and Sheep enterprise and the significant estate maintenance, building projects and events management.
With a hardworking attitude and a keenness to impress, you will be well supported by existing, skilled staff members and obtain SVQ qualification under supervision by Rural Skills Scotland.
Balcaskie Estate occupies approximately 1900 Ha and directly farms 1300 Ha. There are over 50 residential properties and a further 40 commercial lets. In addition, the estate is undertaking significant environmental management projects. Monthly food markets and events space provide the opportunity to be an ambassador for the estate and work in a varied environment. The estate also operates a butchery and pub.
The estate maintenance role will provide experience including;
• Maintaining and erecting fences, planting and maintaining trees and hedges.
• Building maintenance and repair.
• Drainage and ditch maintenance.
• Stone dyke repair and basic block work.
• Simple property maintenance repairs.
• Work with specialist trades to help develop skills.
The farm work will provide skills and confidence in the following roles;
• Using, maintaining and looking after modern machinery.
• Grain, silage and bale carting with tractors/loaders and telescopic handlers.
• Forklift work.
• Working with livestock especially at lambing and calving time.
A successful applicant will need to;
• Be someone looking to develop their skills and gain experience in a wide range of duties in the rural industries.
• A keen eye for detail and a passion for land-based industries.
• Be mechanically minded and have an interest in looking after equipment to a high standard.
• Have a desire to learn and enthusiasm to be taught.
• Be available to work weekends and evenings during busy periods.
• Have already passed a tractor driving course or have passed their driving test.
For much of the time, the role will be working with existing members of staff and therefore a pre requisite for this roll is the ability to work as part of a team and to assist on all aspects of the estate. We are fortunate to have an existing team of highly motivated and experienced people who will be able to help develop the right person.
A practical and methodical work attitude is important and an ability to demonstrate energy and effectiveness. A clean Driving License, mature attitude and ability to communicate clearly is essential.
Additional training will be provided as part of our ongoing training and investing in skills. These may include;
• Regenerative Agriculture
• Workshop/Welding/fabrication and repairs.
• Forklift (Rough Terrain Telescopic)
• First Aid at Work
• ATV competence.
Due to the breadth of this role, a flexible attitude, willingness to help out when needed and work outdoors in all weather is essential. Evening and weekend work will be required at times.
This role will be full time for up to 15 months.
The role comes with accommodation.
This role comes with good rates of pay.
Please apply enclosing a C.V., covering letter and references to;
Balcaskie Estate Office
Easter Kellie Farm
Anstruther Fife KY102RF
Or email to; email@example.com
Closing Date Friday 2nd October 2020